Why Groovy Kids?
When most people think of the word "groovy" they think of the 1960s, tie-dye, long hair and flower power! The word was actually coined in the 1940s by jazz musicians. This was a time when music was played on vinyl records. Musicians used the word "groovy" when they were playing music that sounded as sweet as the songs that played when the needle of a record player found the groove of a record. The musicians were "in the groove." They were in sync and using their talents to create a beautiful sound. Our hope is that our classes will help students find their groove, and walk in harmony with their fellow humans through this complex, dynamic, beautiful world.
Groovy Kid's Mission
Groovy Kids Online is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization. While we do believe in paying our teachers well and sharing some of our course fees with the innovators who create them. Not everyone can work for free! We also believe that every parent should be able to advocate for their children to have a superb education and that every child should have a relevant education that will help them wander this world and reach their potential. To that end our mission is to:
- Provide supplemental cross-academic discipline courses for 11-17 year old children.
- Provide support to adults who wish to be involved in the education of a child or children.
- Provide resources to families so that they are able to facilitate the education of their children.
- Parents should be the primary educator of their child(ren), but we've got your back!
- We can create a more joyful and generous world by living thoughtfully.
- There are certain ideas that a student should consider in order to be a responsible human being.
- The world is full of beauty. Education can help to make the ordinary extraordinary.
- Conversations and investigations of difficult subjects need to be navigated carefully and thoughtfully.
- Learning should be a rewarding life-long endeavor that is fueled by curiosity. Standardized education squashes curiosity in search of the one “right answer.”
- Playing and having fun are important parts of a fulfilling life.
- Work is important. With some creativity, even the most mundane task can be fun.
- Despite our differences, and given a safe inclusive environment, humans are capable of finding their groove in their community, country and world.
We created Online Classes for Groovy Kids to help bring that world about! We are dedicated to providing meaningful curriculum to our students, valuable resources to parents, sustainable wages to our teachers and support to innovative content creators.
If you have any questions or comments you can reach Amanda, the Managing Director by email at firstname.lastname@example.org